If you have artificial grass, you know that it is one of the most popular choices for people who want their lawn to be green all year round.
Artificial grass has many advantages over natural grass, like never needing mowing or watering! But how do you clean your fake lawn?
One question we get asked a lot is, “Can I vacuum my artificial grass?” The short answer is yes, but there are some things to consider before doing so.
It is a common misconception that you can’t vacuum artificial grass. This is not true, and in fact, many homeowners use this technique to keep their lawns looking fresh and tidy.
Most people think vacuuming will damage the blades of grass, but it removes dirt and debris from the surface without harming any part of your synthetic turf!
Advantages of Using a Vacuum on Artificial Grass
Several benefits come from using a vacuum on artificial grass, primarily its ability to pick up leaves and other debris from the surface.
Using a vacuum saves time as you don’t have to rake or blow off the grass, which is often a back-breaking task.
- It removes most of the dust and dirt particles.
- You can clean up any spills or messes with ease if you use a vacuum cleaner.
- Vacuuming will not cause stains on artificial grass.
- Waste materials are taken away faster this way.
- It will cut lawn maintenance time in half because you don’t have to dust or water your artificial turf.
- There will be less chance for bacteria to accumulate because you clean it regularly with a good vacuum cleaner.
- It can also prevent it from becoming a habitat for pests and insects that could cause damage over time.
- A vacuum will also remove the need to use any chemicals on your lawn.
- It’s also easier to use a vacuum on artificial grass since the pieces are small.
Things to Avoid Before Hoovering Artificial Grass
Following precautions must be taken before cleaning artificial grass with a vacuum.
- Most manufacturers will recommend that you only use the vacuum attachment with a soft brush to clean artificial grass. You should never use a beater brush or hard bristles, as this could damage the fibers and make the grass look ragged.
- You should also always check your vacuum cleaner beforehand to see if it has any metal parts, as these can scratch up your fake lawn.
- The vacuum cleaner should have a motorized brush attachment for cleaning.
- It is not advisable to use it on synthetic grass that has been sprayed with silicone or oil.
- Avoid using the powerhead of the vacuum if you are dealing with nylon turf, as it can cause damage to your blades.
What Vacuum Would Be Best for Artificial Grass?
Most vacuums will work well when cleaning artificial grass, but some features make certain models better than others.
Here are the key features you should consider before deciding which vacuum cleaner is suitable for your artificial lawn.
- The vacuum cleaner should have powerful suction since this allows deeper penetration and dislodges dirt particles from inside the blades of fake grass.
- It should be lightweight and easy to maneuver.
- It must not damage the artificial grass it cleans.
- The wheels of the machine need to be sturdy to avoid sinking into the artificial grass.
- The cord needs to be long enough to allow you room to maneuver around your lawn or garden without having to change outlets constantly.
You may also want a vacuum with an onboard hose to be used for other purposes and its ability to clean synthetic turf.
How to Clean Artificial Grass with Vacuum
Vacuuming is a great way to clean synthetic turf. Vacuum cleaners can help remove dirt and debris that may get caught in the fibers of fake grass.
Follow these steps for how to clean artificial grass with a vacuum cleaner:
- Clean artificial grass with a manual broom
- Vacuum the dirt and crumbs from the fake blades of grass
- Use a wet vacuum or a dry vacuum, depending on your preference and the size of artificial turf you own.
- Clean the vacuum after use to avoid any residue from causing dirty spots on your artificial grass.
- If you find that some type of stain or substance is difficult to remove, use a little bit of dish soap and water.
- You can also use a brush or scrubber to get rid of any stubborn stains.
Vacuuming an artificial grass lawn is a great way to keep your yard looking fresh and clean.
What was your experience with using a vacuum cleaner? Did it work well? Let us know in the comments below!